Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Photography is NOT a crime...


It's no secret that I stalk Chase Jarvis's blog, but today he posted an article about a photographer getting arrested while photographing an illegal activity. (The above image is courtesy of his blog). Here's the link to his story, I'd highly recommend reading it HERE.

On one side, I can definitely see where the authorities would arrest the photographer (Jonas Lara in this case) for being at the crime in progress, but at the same time a photographer documenting any event, whether legal or not is their job. The really astounding part is that his lawyer wouldn't use his rights as a photographer as part of his defense! I agree with Chase in that if photograhing crime is a crime, than all of the documentary photographers who cover war, crime in prison, or abuse in any way should be in Jail. I don't think that's right. What do you think? More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment